In recent weeks, there is a new problem that many iPhone Xs and Xs Max users are dealing with when their iPhone does not suddenly charge. If you are facing the same issue on your new iPhone, then read on this post will walk you through solutions to fix this annoying issue on your phone.
How to fix charging problem on iPhone XS/XS Max
If your iPhone XS/ XS Max is not able to charge, there’s a set of troubleshooting that you need to do to find out where the problem comes from. All you can do in this situation is to perform software troubleshooting. If none of them helps, you’ll likely end up with hardware repair. To check if the problem is fixable on your level, simply follow our suggestions below.
Method 1: Hard reset your iPhone
Bugs can occur with every phone. Some become headaches while others are only minors and can easily be fixed by a force restart. Tso the first solution you should try to fix charging problem on your phone is performing a hard reset. Here’s how to do so:
- Press and quickly go of the Volume up button.
- Do it the same with the Volume down button.
- Now, hold on the Side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Method 2: Use another set of charging accessories
In some cases, your iPhone fails to charge due to a bad charging accessory. To check if the lightning cable or adapter is to blame, you can try another set by borrowing one from one of your friends or your family members. You can also visit your local Apple store and then charge your phone with their official charging cable and adapter.
Method 3: Install the latest iOS update
About one month ago, there are a large number of iPhone XS/XS Max devices showing a bug that blocks an iPhone from charging on standby or on sleep mode. Although it has recently remedied by Apple, similar issues still occur randomly over years. In case, your iPhone XS/XS Max might have a unique bug that prevents your device from charging. So, you’d better install the latest iOS version for your phone. Also, you should make sure all installed apps are up-to-date.
Method 4: Flip lightning cable
Some iPhone users could previously fix charging problems by doing a very simple trick that is flipping the cable. The sides of a lightning cable are identical, so you can insert it in any manner. You can try this trick and check if it helps you in this case.
Method 5: Charge your iPhone via computer
Topping up your device battery through a computer might sometimes be a good solution to fix charging problems. While we don’t see any logical explanation for this method other than the possibility that the lower energy input can trigger a change in the power management settings of the iPhone, some iPhone Xs/Xs Max stated that this trick helped in solving charging problem on their iPhone. However, it is not still a reliable way to fix a charging issue. If the main reason for your case is caused by a minor glitch, this method might help.
Method 6: Check your iPhone port for water or moisture
A wet charging port will prevent your phone from charging. Your iPhone XS/ XS Max will stop charging if the charging port appears water or liquid to avoid the damage. So, you should make sure to clean the port using a soft, clean cloth. If you think your iPhone port is still wet and you can’t get rid of, bring your phone to a local repair shop to dry it. Remember to tell them to be careful without voiding the warranty of your iPhone during this session.
Method 7: DFU Restore Mode
Performing a DFU Restore will be necessary if none of the above methods helps. This troubleshooting step will restore your iPhone Xs/Xs Max to the default state, which might help in fixing the charging problem. Here are steps to perform a DFU Restore on your iPhone
- Connect your iPhone to the computer with the help of a certificated Lightning cable.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Power your iPhone XS off as you usually do. In iOS 12, you can also switch off your iPhone by heading to menu Settings-> General-> Shut Down -> then toggle the slider to the right to turns off your iPhone.
- Press & hold the Power button for 3 seconds. Next, press and hold on the Volume Down button while still holding down the Power button. Keep holding both of them for 10 seconds.
- If you see the Apple logo, it means that you have already held the buttons too long. To fix it, you need to start over again. Otherwise, you can skip to the next step.
- Now, release the Power button but still holding the Volume Down button for about 7 seconds.
- When you are prompted with the Plug into iTunes screen, it means your iPhone is now in the Recovery Mode instead. That times, you have to go back to the first step and ensure you’re not holding the buttons too long.
- If your iPhone XS/XS Max screen goes black, it means your phone is now DFU mode. iTunes will then prompt you with a message saying that your iPhone has been detected and be ready for restore. Simply follow the onscreen instructions to start restoring your iPhone through iTunes.
Method 8: Use a wireless charger
You can also consider using a wireless charger to charge your iPhone. It will work if there is a problem causing a bad charging port. However, make sure to only use a wireless charger certificated by Apple.
Method 9: Get help from Apple
Professional repair may be the last resort if the charging problem still remains on your iPhone XS/XS Max. We recommend you to contact Apple for repair appointments to resolve the current charging problem on your device.